Deciding on a College or University: First Steps
February 28, 2018 Custom Essay Blog
Making a decision about which colleges or universities to apply for and attend can be difficult. Nonetheless, there are many resources to help you. Start early, and allow time to research the institutions that are right for you. Think about what you want from your time at school. Begin with your values, goals, and preferences. Here are some questions to consider:
• Do you have a program of study in mind?
• A specific academic goal, or a career you’re working towards?
• Do you like to write essays, which is something you would be more likely to do at a very academic school, or would you prefer a more active and integrated general curriculum?
• Would you like to be able to blend in and lose yourself in the crowd at a large school, or would you be more likely to find happiness and academic success at a school with smaller classes, where you can get to know others and the professors and tutors in your classes and stand out from the crowd?
• What criteria are important to you? The cost of living in the city you choose, the availability of on campus or off campus housing, whether there are extracurricular clubs, sororities or fraternities, how important public transportation is to you?
Make a list of what your ideal living and studying environment would be. Make an initial list of all the institutions you think will suit your needs. Look at tuition rates, and extra student fees, and what is covered. Check both their academic and their social offerings. Research the colleges’ towns, and pay attention to things like transportation and housing. See what is available for student housing both on and off campus. Do some searches and see what other students have to say about the institutions.
Once you have a better idea of what you’re looking for personally, you will find that narrowing down a list of the right institutions is easier. Taking this approach will give you a great start on the selection process.